In the beginning….
In 1984 a discussion took place between Peter Briggs & James Harwood on the problem of continuing the annual running of the York Flying 50 in the absence of the WASCC. In its then-current guise, the York Flying Fifty had been running since 1980. Formation of a new club was suggested, calling itself the Vintage Sports Car Club or the ‘VSCC’. A meeting of their motoring friends was called by Peter & James to form an inaugural steering committee.
The committee was formed consisting of James Harwood as chairman, John Keenan - secretary, Arthur Collett – minutes secretary,
The VSCC W.A.(inc) was officially incorporated August 1986. Today the VSCC is the largest historic motor sport club in Western Australia with a membership base spilling over into the various other marque clubs throughout the region.
The club's original objectives haven’t change since its inception in 1984, but have grown to include the object of catering for "The organisation of events for older sports and racing cars and to ‘Especially Celebrate and Preserve’ the original 'Round the Houses' racing which were held on street circuits in the many country towns of Western Australia in the 30s, 40s and 50s".
The first of these events was the Albany event in 1936, proposed to emulate the Monaco-style events held in Europe. They were eventually held in various WA towns such as Pingelly, Bunbury, Dowerin, Narrogin and Northam. There was even an Australian Grand Prix race held in the country town of Narrogin, the Jubilee Grand Prix, in 1951.
The VSCC typically caters for historic cars meeting the requirements of the CAMS 5th Category group of cars in Australia and other invited classes of cars. At various meetings you may see open-wheeled racing cars, flashy racing sports cars, Formula Ford, Formula Junior, Touring Cars and specials from the 1920s to the 1980s. Some of these cars were, and even still are, driven by well-known racing identities intent on keeping their hand and eye in.
The future is, without doubt, exciting and challenging.